With summer in full swing, nature is generous with mouth-watering fruits and vegetables. Summer-special food are not just light and refreshing, if taken in reasonable amounts can also help you lose weight. Here is a list of the top 5 summer foods, low in calories and high in vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and fiber to keep you fit and slim.
Top 5 summer foods for weight loss
- Chilled soups: Most of you would agree that chilled soups are the best way to beat the hot and sultry summer. And you don’t need to visit Spain for that! You can try your own version of gazpacho soup, and keep it in attractive glass food storage containers for later use. Perhaps, you may like to surprise your guests with something oriental like mouth-watering vichyssoise soup, served chilled. Not only these soups are a delicious way to start a meal, they are quite filling so you would eat less too.
- Fresh salads: Want to prepare an instant meal? Take advantage of the wide variety of fresh vegetables and fruits that is available in the summer. Peel and dice fresh fruits and vegetables, add some low-fat cheese and some juicy blue berries before tossing them in your salad bowl. Then, garnish the salad with chopped parsley or some fresh herbs and a handful of toasted nuts for some crunch. You can also substitute low-fat cheese with fat-free plain yogurt and the result will be just as delectable. Finally, serve it in elegant salad plates along with your favorite chilled fruit juice for a great weight-loss meal.
- Grilled vegetables: When it is summer, no way you would want to give a miss to the backyard parties. Just imagining about the options in crunchy grilled vegetables brings water in my mouth – from savory grilled onions to grilled asparagus, mushrooms, zucchini, corns or cabbage. For added flavor and texture, marinate the vegetables with fresh herbs and oil or, better still, some light BBQ sauces before sizzling them on your barbecue grill burner.
- Watermelon: Now this is my favorite summer fruit. Having a fresh slice of watermelon with a dash of lemon juice, to balance it out, is just the thing I need to feel refresh. Watermelon smoothies are also a popular summer drink. On gorgeous summer evenings, we also like having chilled watermelon soup as a starter on our beautiful patio.
- Summer Deserts: In summer, if not cautious, you can easily end up gaining extra pounds instead of losing weight. To tame your sweet tooth, how about taking something which is naturally sweet instead of surrendering yourself to popular decadent desserts? Fresh raspberries tossed with diced pineapple (fresh or frozen) make a colorful and tasty treat when served with a spoonful of whipped cream or non-fat peach yogurt. Having broiled pineapple (cut into chunks) together with a squeeze of tart lime juice is also a perfect way to end your meal.
With summer food, the options are endless. Just be creative and you can relish a new dish everyday and lose weight in a healthy way.